Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Goat&CatScans: Retired Heroes Chapter 39 + Retrospective

It began with a Jojo reference, and it'll end with one.

Hey hey people, Cory in the House. It's with a heavy heart that I bring to you today the 39th and final chapter of Retired Heroes. That's right, this is the last one. It doesn't seem like we'll be getting any more of this manhua in the foreseeable future as the publisher has gone out of business or something, so this is where we're stopping as well. But enough for that, let's get the actual chapter links out of the way before I start waxing poetic.

Chapter 39: https://www.mediafire.com/file/b38e4zdfq0dysdi/Chapter_39.zip/filehttps://www.mediafire.com/file/b38e4zdfq0dysdi/Chapter_39.zip/filehttps://www.mediafire.com/file/b38e4zdfq0dysdi/Chapter_39.zip/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/b38e4zdfq0dysdi/Chapter_39.zip/filehttps://www.mediafire.com/file/b38e4zdfq0dysdi/Chapter_39.zip/file


<=== Spoilers ahead!! ===>

So now that you've read the chapter you're probably thinking some things. I know, LinJie left some loose plot ends lying around in anticipation of a second sequel. I'm disappointed too. What happened to Tanya? Did Shok really turn evil? Was Shay conceived on screen? Alas, the world may never know. For everyone's sake I do hope this continues at some point.


But man, what a ride it's been! This project lasted a hell of a lot longer than I ever expected, a journey spanning more than a year and a half. When I first started on this back in October 2018 I was a broke college student who just played video games all day. Now I have a degree, a job, and pretty soon a place to call my own. As you can see, scanlating really builds character and enriches one's life. It will transform you into a manly Adonis. Seriously though, it also inspired me to start learning Chinese again. Maybe one day I'll be able to read the raws unaided.

We made some friends along the way too. The catfolk of Nekyou Scanlation provided a lot of resources and really helped to legitimize Goat&Cat's operations, in particular Blue, Wordref, and WanderingMacrophage. It was also through Nekyou that I discovered the gaming community known as Cosy Inn, which is host to its own gallery of intriguing characters.

I've also developed a greater appreciation for scanlators in general. When I'm reading stuff on MangaDex I now actually read the credits pages of a lot of chapters instead of just skipping them, and learned about the man behind the manga (scanlation) so to speak. Some of them are really interesting people. Some of them are almost as funny and witty as me. Almost.

So what does the future hold for Goat & Cat Scans? Well, we don't have any other works to translate. I'm open to any suggestions you may have, but they have to be in Chinese, and I'd have to wrangle the Cat into being on board with it. He tells me he'd rather do light novels instead of manhua. But barring any suggestions, this blog will now be returning to its regularly scheduled programming of shitposts and my personal diary entries.

One last shoutout to YOU, the readers who have stuck with us for all this time. It was pretty amazing knowing someone out there was actually reading(and possibly even enjoying) what we were doing. If we ever do anything else, I hope you'll follow us on that too.

Until then, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

-- Coriasis, the GOAT of Goat&CatScans

13 comments:

  1. YO! Thanks for all the work you have done up until now man!

    This manhua is one of the better ones out there, and I enjoy it from start to finish.

    While it is sad to see it ends, I too, hope to read the continuation in the future.

    So once again, thank you, and your team for all the work, and may we meet again in the future in other projects of yours.

    P.S. Congrats on your new place! Also right now, I'm kind of you at 2018, any advice to offer to an (rather hopeless) undergraduate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing this! I really enjoyed this series and I am really sad to see it go. Hope you enjoy your new place when you get settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a sequel/season 2 shows up will you guys translate it? Thanks for the chapters regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unlikely to happen but if it does we will.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the hard work during all this time! I really enjoyed the series, although this situation certainly leaves a bad after taste. Hopefully we will see the continuation somehow in the mid or long term with a different publisher. Keep it up and I'm looking forward to more translations from you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the extras that was mentioned at the end here?: https://ladiy.weebly.com/96782418731070303402265930028.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of those are kind of old, but one of them is from an anthology of short stories that seem to take place after the main story. Looks like that's up for digital download, I'll see about acquisitions.

      Delete
  6. Hmm, looks like my previous comment formatting got messed up with submitted. Anyways, thank you for scanlating this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for your work on this. Truly a nice read, shame it stopped here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the translation, sad to see this got axed.
    Good luck to you and the cat in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a lot for all your hard work ! Retired heroes is a really good manhua and there are so much more that could have happened after 😭

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I'd like to thank you for taking your time to scanlate Retired Heroes, I was completely invested into the manga from Ch. 1 all the way to Ch. 39, and I'm absolutely thankful that you put all that effort in to allow many to read along.

    However, I actually come bearing questions, is there any way for me to see what other works has the artist have cooked up? If not, are there any other social media's that the artist has, other than the gamer/tw website? Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete