Monday, November 5, 2018

When I left you I was but the learner,

It seems like the tables have turned, and we're the quality scans now, if you believe the words of a few random Internet commenters on mangodex. I guess we're the ones who have been "sniped", so to speak.
"So that's how it feels" --buttman
I would say that on average, Nekyou's versions are still higher quality than ours despite our improvements. They redraw some of sound effects in English, don't slant their text at greatbad angles and have better font choices. 
As for the actual translation: When our word choice for a given speech bubble differs significantly I estimate there's a "70-30 split", as in 70% of the time their wording is better and the other 30% ours is better. Although within this recent 9 chapter train they've run on us the I would say the ratio has shifted to be more in our favor. Why am I so concerned about this, you may ask? Well, I'm not the translator in this group (that would be the Cat), so re-wording stuff to sound cooler is pretty much my entire job and I take a lot of pride in it.

Anyway, I think we have a good niche going here for a peaceful coexistence: Nekyou didn't bother to translate the omakes or the shitty MSPaint splashes at the ends of certain chapters. So the next time you see one of those it'll probably be us.

Chapter 17 is coming out maybe tomorrow, and we have decided to skip over Chapter 18 and start on 19 since Nekyou already did 18 pretty well. Although if you'd like for us to do it anyway please don't hesitate to reach out.

4 comments:

  1. oh please do 18.5, that looks like such a good window into how life was life when Chris first rejoined his family

    ReplyDelete
  2. U guys are fabulous. Keep doind the translation. Nekyou's doesn't give a sh** about this manga until u guys apear. So just keep the good work and we'll be faithful readers.

    ReplyDelete