Monday, October 15, 2018

Let me be your ruler

I've been splatting a seemingly endless horde of flies flocking to my screen. Again. Looking back it seems like this isn't the first time this has happened. That was more than a year ago, and I'm no longer as pissed off by it now. 

What's changed? My perspective, most likely. A few weeks earlier my home was plagued by a wasp infestation, which was far nastier. Yellow jackets have a loud buzz that makes them difficult to ignore, and can sting multiple times without dying like their friendlier bee brethren. 
That reminds me: I went to the dentist's office some time ago and was sitting underneath the wall-mounted TV in the waiting room. They usually play kid's movies since it's a dentistry for kids, which I still go to for some reason. Anyway, above me, I heard the DreamWorks Pictures jingle play. A tingle ran down my spine and I got all excited. Were they about to play that masterpiece of animated films, that green slime-filled sensation? Were they about to play....SHREK?!

"According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly..."

I instantly slumped down in my seat, all hope lost.
Yeah. It was Bee Movie.

I don't think I need to tell you what to think about Bee Movie. In fact, I'm not even going to dignify it with a pic-

Anyway, I got stung once on the toe and recovered in less than 2 days thanks to constant rinsing and proper care. Others were not so fortunate. While more hostile and durable than flies, wasps were much easier to hit, whether it be with newspaper, flyswatter, or nerf blaster. This infestation did prompt the purchase of a new, industrial strength "heavy duty" bug swatter made of vulcanized rubber and thick steel wire. The advertising blurb said it could be used as a backup paddle should you find yourself on a canoe in a raging river. I don't know about that, but its pretty durable. I'm not going to shill it further here but the brand name is "Enoz" if you're really interested.

Now that the cold snap has arrived, the wasps are likely gone for good. Now if only these flies shared the same vulnerability...

No comments:

Post a Comment